Acceptable Use Policy
December 13, 2023
Pursuant to Terms of Service Agreement (the “Agreement”) that you have entered into with Liquid, we are making available to you access to the Platform and the Services.
This Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP” or “Policy”) is designed (a) to ensure your proper use of, and that you do not misuse, the Platform or the Services, and (b) to ensure that you understand the policies and procedures we have developed to comply with certain laws and regulations.
All users of the Platform must comply with this AUP. Your use of the Platform constitutes your acceptance of the latest version of this AUP. It is your responsibility, and contractual obligation, to ensure that your affiliates, agents, and/or users comply with this AUP at all times.
Based upon the dynamic nature of the Internet and Cloud/Web services, Liquid reserves the right to make changes to this AUP at any time, and without notice.
Capitalized terms used herein not otherwise defined shall have the meaning ascribed to them in the Agreement.
1. User Content
You must use a secure encrypted connection when transmitting User Content to the Platform. It is your responsibility to make backups of User Content. You are solely responsible for protecting your passwords and for limiting access to your user account, computers, and devices.
2. Unacceptable Use
You agree not to take any of the following actions:
- Post, upload, publish, submit, share, distribute, or transmit any User Content that: (i) you lack the authority to post, upload, publish, submit, share, distribute, or transmit; (ii) infringes, misappropriates, or violates a third-party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights, or other intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy; (iii) violates, or encourages any conduct that would violate, any applicable law or regulation or would give rise to civil liability; (iv) is fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive; (v) is defamatory, indecent, obscene, pornographic, vulgar, or offensive; (vi) promotes discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, harassment, or harm against any individual or group; (vii) is violent or threatening or promotes violence or actions that are threatening to any person or entity; (viii) promotes illegal or harmful activities or substances; or (ix) contains software viruses, worms, defects, Trojans, adware, spyware, malware, or other similar computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware device;
- Use the Services other than as authorized in this Agreement;
- Resell, sublicense, timeshare, or otherwise share the Services with any third party;
- Display, mirror, or frame (i) the Site, or the layout or design of any page on the Site or form contained on a page; (ii) the Platform; (iii) the Services; or (iv) Liquid Content or any individual element within the Site, Platform, or Services, including Liquid’s name and any Liquid trademark, logo, or other proprietary information, in each case, without Liquid’s express prior written consent;
- Access, tamper with, or use non-public areas of the Platform, Site, Services, Liquid’s computer systems, or the technical delivery systems of Liquid’s providers;
- Interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Platform, Site or Services (including but not limited to any application, function, or use of the Services) or any activities conducted on the Services;
- Take any action that imposes or may impose (as determined by Liquid in Liquid’s sole discretion) an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the infrastructure of Liquid, its Payment Processors, or Third-Party Providers;
- Use manual or automated software, devices, or other processes to “crawl” or “spider” any page of the Site;
- Harvest or scrape any Content from the Platform, Site or Services;
- Attempt to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of any Liquid system or network or breach any security or authentication measures;
- Avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, impair, descramble, or otherwise circumvent any technological measure implemented by Liquid or any of Liquid’s providers or any other party (including another user) to protect the Platform, Site, Services, or Content;
- Attempt to access or search the Platform, Site, Services, or Content or download Content from the Platform, Site or Services through the use of any engine, software, tool, agent, device, or mechanism (including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools, or the like), other than the software and/or search agents provided by Liquid or other generally available web browsers;
- Access the Services for the purposes of monitoring its availability, performance, or functionality, or for any other benchmarking or competitive purposes;
- Send any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, email, junk mail, spam, chain letters, or other form of solicitation through the Platform or Services;
- Use any meta tags or other hidden text or metadata utilizing a Liquid trademark, logo, URL, or product name without Liquid’s express written consent;
- Use the Platform, Site, Services, or Content, or any portion thereof, (i) for any unlawful purpose, (ii) for any purpose other than your internal business purposes, or (iii) for the benefit of any third party or in any manner not permitted by this Agreement;
- Forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or newsgroup posting, or in any way use the Platform, Services, or Content to send altered, deceptive, or false source-identifying information;
- Attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive any source code, or underlying ideas, or algorithms of any of the software used to provide the Platform, Site, Services, or Content;
- Modify, translate, or otherwise create derivative works of any part of the Platform, Site, Services, or Content other than your own User Content;
- Interfere with, or attempt to interfere with, the access of any user, host, or network, or use any device, software, or routine that is intended to damage, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, data, or communication, including, without limitation, by sending a virus, overloading, flooding, spamming, or mail-bombing the Platform, Site or Services;
- Collect from or store on the Platform, Site or Services any personally identifiable information or protected health information of other users without their express permission;
- Impersonate or misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity;
- Engage in any fraudulent, deceptive, or illegal practices or activities, or use the Platform, Site or Services to directly or indirectly support any such practices or activities;
- Violate any applicable law, rule, or regulation, or the National Automated Clearing House Association Operating Rules, as they may be amended from time to time (as amended, the “NACHA Rules”); or
- Encourage, assist, or enable any other individual to do any of the foregoing.
3. Unacceptable Jurisdictions and Persons
3.1 Use of Liquid’s services for any dealings, engagement, or sale of goods/services linked directly or indirectly with jurisdictions Liquid has deemed high risk, such as Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and the Crimea, Donetsk, and Luhansk Regions, or persons Liquid has deemed high risk, such as those individuals or entities named to a restricted person or party list of the U.S., United Kingdom, European Union or United Nations, including the sanctions lists maintained by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control or the Denied Persons List or Entity List maintained by the U.S. Department of Commerce, is prohibited.
3.2 You are prohibited from using the Platform or the Services to directly or indirectly export, reexport, sell, or supply accounting, trust and corporate formation, management consulting services, architecture services or engineering services to any person located in Russia. Further, it is prohibited to use Liquid’s products and services directly or indirectly related to any goods prohibited by law (e.g. luxury goods) from Russia.
4. Unacceptable Activities
You must not use the Platform or the Services for the following activities.
(a) Illegal products and services
- Illegal drugs, substances designed to mimic illegal drugs, and equipment designed for making or using drugs
- Fake references or ID-providing services
- Telecommunications manipulation equipment including jamming devices
- Any business or organization that a. engages in, encourages, promotes or celebrates unlawful violence or physical harm to persons or property, or b. engages in, encourages, promotes or celebrates unlawful violence toward any group based on race, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other immutable characteristic
- Any other products or services that are in violation of law in the jurisdictions where your business is located or targeted to
- Products and services that infringe intellectual property rights
(b) Sales or distribution of music, movies, software, or any other licensed materials without appropriate authorization
- Counterfeit goods; illegally imported or exported products
- Unauthorized sale of brand name or designer products or services
- Any other products or services that directly infringe or facilitate infringement upon the trademark, patent, copyright, trade secrets, proprietary or privacy rights of any third party
(c) Products and services that are unfair, predatory, or deceptive
- Pyramid schemes
- ‘Get rich quick’ schemes including: investment opportunities or other services that promise high rewards to mislead consumers; schemes that claim to offer high rewards for very little effort or up front work; sites that promise fast and easy money; businesses that make outrageous claims, use deceptive testimonials, use high-pressure upselling, and/or use fake testimonials; (with or without a written contract) offering unrealistic incentives/rewards as an inducement to purchase products or services but do not respond to any queries after the purchase
- No value added services including sale or resale of a service without added benefit to the buyer and resale of government offerings without authorization or added value
- Sales of online traffic or engagement
- Negative response marketing and telemarketing
- Predatory mortgage consulting, lending, credit repair and counseling services
- Predatory investment opportunities with no or low money down
- Remote technical support; mugshot publication or pay-to-remove sites; essay mills; chain letters; door-to-door sales
- Any other businesses that Stripe considers unfair, deceptive, or predatory towards consumers
(d) Adult content and services
- Pornography and other mature audience content (including literature, imagery and other media) depicting nudity or explicit sexual acts
- Adult services including prostitution, escorts, pay-per view, sexual massages, and adult live chat features
- Adult video stores
- Gentleman's clubs, topless bars, and strip clubs
- Online dating services
(e) Certain legal services
- Law firms collecting funds for purposes other than legal service fee payment
- Bankruptcy attorneys
- Bail bonds
(f) Firearms, explosives and dangerous materials
- Guns, gunpowders, ammunitions, weapons, fireworks and other explosives
- Peptides, research chemicals, and other toxic, flammable and radioactive materials
- Games of chance including gambling, internet gambling, sweepstakes and contests, fantasy sports leagues with a monetary or material prize
- Games of skill including video game and mobile game tournaments/competitions, card games, board games with a monetary or material prize
- To process payments for an entry/player fee that promises the entrant/player to win a prize in money or money's worth, or to payout winnings of such games
- Sports forecasting or odds making with a monetary or material prize
- Bidding fee auctions
- Cannabis products
- Cannabis dispensaries and related businesses
(i) Misuse of the Services
- Use of Liquid products with false, manipulated, inaccurate, or misleading information regarding your identity, business entity, the nature of business, and any other information requested by Liqud (you must inform us immediately of any changes to your personal and business information)
- Use of Liquid products to facilitate transactions on behalf of another undisclosed merchant or for products/services that were not disclosed in the Liquid account application
- Processing where there is no bona fide good or service sold;
- Cross-border acquiring where the business address of the Payer is outside of the jurisdiction of the acquiring Stripe entity unless permitted under the card network rules
- Use of Liquid intellectual property without prior written consent from Liquid; use of the Liquid name or logo in a manner that otherwise harms Liquid or the Liquid brand; any action that implies an untrue endorsement by or affiliation with Liquid
The types of businesses listed above are representative but not exhaustive.
5. Restricted Businesses
You must not use the Platform or the Services for the following activities, unless you have received our prior written approval. Restricted business categories may be imposed through requirements of financial partners or due to compliance and legal obligations. If your business falls into one of the restricted categories, please contact us (email@example.com).
(a) Financial products and services
- Investment and brokerage services
- Lending services
- Buy Now Pay Later services
- Debt collection agencies
- Insurance services including medical benefit packages
- Money transmitters, currency exchange services and other money services businesses
- Neobanks / challenger banks
- Other financial institutions
(b) Government services
- Government grants
- Embassy, foreign consulate, or other foreign governments
(c) Cannabidiol (CBD)
- CBD products containing negligible amounts of THC
(d) Pharmaceuticals, medical devices and telemedicine
- Online pharmacies
- Prescription-only products including card-not-present pharmaceuticals
- Prescription-only and regulated medical devices
- Telemedicine and telehealth services
- Tobacco products including e-cigarettes and e-liquid
- Credit card and identity theft protection services
- Other age restricted goods or services
- Travel reservation services and clubs
- Airlines and cruises
- Timeshare services
(h) Non-fiat currency and stored value
- Virtual and cryptocurrencies, non-fungible tokens (NFTs), and mining services (for crypto and NFT supportability and availability by region, please see this support doc)
- Prepaid phone cards, sim cards, and phone services
- Sale of stored value or credits maintained, accepted and issued by anyone other than the seller
- Sale of in-game currency or game items, unless the merchant is the operator of the virtual world
(i) Multi-level marketing
- Businesses where sellers get their revenue both from selling items and from signing up new sellers
- Network marketing and referral marketing programs
- Shipping and forwarding brokers
- Shipping brokers
- Forwarding brokers
- Drop shipping
- Charity sweepstakes and raffles for the explicit purpose of fundraising
The types of businesses listed above are representative but not exhaustive.
6. Security Violations & Network Abuse
6.1 You may not use or facilitate the use of the Platform to violate the security or integrity of any network, computer or communications system, software application, or other network-attached device that is part of the Platform. This includes obtaining or attempting to obtain unauthorized access to a system without permission, as well as unauthorized port-scanning and/or vulnerability testing. You may not make or attempt to make network connections to any systems, networks, or network devices to which you are not authorized for.
6.2 We reserve the right to take immediate action to suspend or terminate your access to the Platform if you are engaging in activities that jeopardize the security of Platform or the security of our other customers. Such action may be taken with or without prior notice.
7. Monitoring and Enforcement
We reserve the right to investigate any violation of this Policy or misuse of the Platform. We may report any activity that we suspect violates any law or regulation to appropriate law enforcement officials, regulators, or other appropriate third parties.
8. Suspension and/or Termination of Access to the Platform
8.1 In the event that you violate any element of this AUP, we reserve the right to refuse to provide access to the Platform and may suspend or terminate your current access. Any termination or suspension may be undertaken with, or without, notice to you.
8.2 Any suspension or termination of access to the Platform due to a violation of this AUP shall not entitle you to any refund of any prior fees paid to us. We shall not be liable for any damages of any nature by any user or any third party resulting in whole or in part from our exercise of our rights under this AUP.